Wednesday, 9 July 2014

Captain Jack Oil Painting

I love seeing behind the scenes of how an artwork is produced so thought I would take a few photographs of the different steps of my new oil painting!

This is Captain Jack Kitty. Its one of my most popular acrylic paintings and I really wanted to do a slightly different bigger version in oils.
Captain Jack Kitty - Acrylic - 20 x 20cm

Of course it had to feature the top pirate cat Morpheus in his most swashbuckling pose!
  •  I always do an acrylic underpainting first to get rid of the white canvas and to make sure everything looks right but I forgot to take a photo of this! 
  • Below is about half an hour of throwing some oil paint on the canvas just to get some shapes.

 
  •  A bit more definition all over and I decided to make his eyes a bit bigger and less squinty.
 
  • Again more definition especially on the eyes as I always think if the eyes don't look right the whole painting won't work.
 
  • The finished painting just waiting to dry!

I love painting my cat Morpheus as he always has a cute little smile which his black chin accentuates!
I wanted him to be a bit of a scruffy looking pirate and I think it works!

Clare xx

3 comments:

  1. Fabulous work Clare. I do love a red background against a blue cat, it's a very striking combination. And of course Morpheus does make the purrrrfect model for Captain Jack! Love the earring too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks super! It's great when the subject & art process come together...

    ReplyDelete